GPS Tours supports the efforts of the Treasure Karoo Action Group (TKAG) who are leading the campaign against the inevitable destruction of this pristine region of South Africa. For up-to-date information visit www.treasurethekaroo.co.za
A few teasers to think about.
1. The Ravine Rabbit (Bunolagus Monticularis) on the brink of extinction.
2. The Leopard is the only true free roaming Big 5 animal group which survives in the Karoo.
3. Most Porto-Mammalian Fossils in the world found in the Karoo.
4. Best Fossils of the early Dinosaurs found in the Karoo.
5. Five specie of Tortoise, most in any conservation area in world.
6. Black Eagle demise.
7. Most area’s in the Karoo average less than 250mm p/a of rain.
8. Most water is derived from ground water aquifers.
9. Richest Desert flora in the world with 9000 species
10. Largest variety of Succulent Flora found worldwide.
11. Geologically 260 million years old.
12 Heritage collapse.
Look out for more posts on this critical subject in the weeks to come.